THE DIAMOND COAST HIKING TRAIL
The Diamond Coast Hiking Trail meanders along app. 50km, from south to north along what is known as the "Diamond Coast" between private mining settlements of
Koingnaas and Kleinzee in Namaqualand in the Northern Cape. Springbok lies 110km to the east, Port Nolloth, 60km to the North and Garries lies 163 km to the East.
This trail is now re-launched in 2017 with the aim of giving explorers a chance to access areas that were previously off-limits to the public due to diamond mining
The hike is done over 3 days and 2 nights. There are 2x overnight camp sites, five dome tents (comfortably sleeps 2 people on stretchers). Bring own sleeping bags.
10 folding chairs and stretchers are available. Pit toilets. Shower cubicle-bucket style, water is warmed in container on open fire. One bundle of fire wood per
person per overnight site included. Additional wood may be ordered and purchased along the trail from the support team.
All the supplies are transported daily between camping sites by vehicles. Hikers need only to carry the minimum.
THE HIKING TRAIL PLAN:
Day 0: Suggested - Arrival at Kleinzee/Koingnaas. Overnight options: Kleinzee Caravan Park (camping), Joanne's Guesthouse, Houthoop Guest Farm or Koingnaas Noup
Divers Huts. This is NOT included in the trail costs. Info available on request.
Day 1: (15km, 5-6 hours) Drive to the starting point at "Soutpomp". Vehicles are parked here. The hike starts here. Hike via the yellow & white dune systems
(inland), then towards the coast going past "Piratiny" & several fishing boat wrecks, to Kliphuis and water wells. The 1st overnight site is near the water wells.
Day 2: (12km, 5-6 hours) Hike along the coast past the Arosa Ship wreck. Swing inland before Frederik se baai, hike inland-cross the tar road into the Game Park,
see some beautiful game. Then via Little Elands Klip back to the Coast. Overnight at second overnight site at "Matjieshuis".
Day 3: (17km, 5-6 hours) Hike along the Coast via MV Border Shipwreck to Brazilfarm boundary (Gate 3). Hikers are transported on open vehicles around Brazil Farm
(State Land) and dropped off at Gate 2 inland, hike up Goraapkop, ending at the Kleinzee Yacht Club. This is the official end of the trail. Owners of vehicles are
transported back to their vehicles at "Soutpomp" to collect vehicles. Suggested: overnight again at one of the local guest houses / Caravan Park.
- This is a guided hike, a very experienced, well informed guide will accompany hikers each day and is in contact with the support team at all times.
- Travel arrangements to and from Kleinzee / Koingnaas are hikers responsibility.
- Drinking water available only at the overnight sites.
- Cooking facilities are limited to an open fire. NO refrigeration facilities.
- Limited medical services available in Hondeklipbaai / Komaggas
RATES: Opening special - R1850 (incl.) per person for the hike.
- Accommodation for day 0 AND day 3 is NOT included, can be arranged at extra cost.
- A minimum of 4 hikers is required. Max group of 12 allowed.
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES / EXCURSION:
Include the following to make this trip worth your while in this beautiful, unspoilt area. Bookings for extra accommodation can be arranged.
- Diamond mine and museum tour (R100 p.p)
- 4x4 Ship Wreck Day Tour (R250 p.p)
- 4x4 Dunes and Game Drives / Tours (R250 p.p)
- Sightseeing / Namaqua "Blommekyk" Tours (Rates on request)