KAROO ERDVARK BACK PACK TRAIL
Karoo Erdvark Trails are situated on the farm Rooiheuwel. Rooiheuwel is a self-catering Karoo Guest Farm in South Africa, situated in the beautiful surroundings of
the escarpment of the Nuweveld Mountains in the Great Karoo with a typical mountain-Karoo landscape, 80km west of Beaufort West and 60km north of Leeu-Gamka.
The Karoo Erdvark Trail is the first Green Flag Accredited Back Pack Hiking Trail in the Karoo with its unique landscape consisting of flat topped mountains with
enormous vistas over the outstretched plains, breathtaking panoramic views, extraordinary rock formations but also incised valleys and kloofs, deep gorges with small
perennial pools and fountains for a swim.
It has been developed to give the hiker a wilderness experience and consists of a network of trails that varies both in
length and difficulty; with options for the more experienced hiker as well as for the leisure hiker and keen bird watcher.
Facilities / Accommodation:
- Fully equipped farm houses at Boplaas (15 beds) and Middelplaas (10 beds) with electricity/gas, warm water shower, braai facilities, pool to swim in.
- Grootdroom: Fully equipped farmhouse (16 beds) with solar energy, gas, warm water, braai facilities, pool.
- Arendsnes: Here is only an "afdak" veranda / no other facilities. Drinking water and 1x chemical toilet only. Hikers must bring own tents or sleep under
the "afdak". The owner will pitch your tents with prior arrangement.
- Rietvlei: Open plan, old school, class room with some beds and mattresses, 1x gas plate burner and kettle, zink and 1 X toilet, but no shower. Wood and braai
facilities. More beds and mattresses can be arranged, maximum up to 16.
Back Pack Options:
There are from a 2 day to 5 days back pack options available. Days vary from 9.8 km to 15.4 km. Hikers can choose from 5 different camps and plan and book hikes
according to fitness level and experience. All trails are well planned and clearly marked. Detailed contour maps with GPS Co-ordinates available.
NB: Slack Packing can be arranged at additional costs.
These trails can be hiked in various combinations e.g.
1. 2 day option: arrive park and stay the first night at Grootdroom. Day 1: hike from Grootdroom to Rietvlei (14.5km) and day 2 back to Grootdroom(15.3km).
2. 3 day option: Day 1: Grootdroom to Arendsnes (12km), Day 2: Arendsnes to Rietvlei (15.4km) and Day 3: Rietvlei back to Grootdroom (15.3km).
3. 4 day option: Arrive, park and stay the first night at Boplaas. Hike Day 1: from Bo-plaas to Middelplaas (12.9km), Day 2 from Middelplaas to Arendsnes (9.8km),
Day 3: Arendsnes to Grootdroom is 9.2km and the last day and Day 4: Grootdroom to Boplaas is 14.3 or 12.8km.
The 5 day back pack trail:
Arrive and stay at Boplaas base camp the first night.
Day 1: The Hike from Boplaas to Middelplaas is 12.9km. Day 2: Middelplaas to Arendsnes is 9.8km. Day 3: Arendsnes to Rietvlei is 15.4km.
Day 4: Rietvlei to Grootdroom is 15.3km and the last day.
Day 5: Grootdroom to Boplaas is 14.3 or a shorter 12.8km.
- Excellent Mountain bike trails: from 40 – 172 km, with overnight camps along the trails. Bring own bikes and gear.
- 4x4 Trails – see our section on 4x4 Trails.
R190 per Adult and R150 per child 7 - 14 per night.
At Grootdroom and Boplaas Camps there are 4 additional day trails from each camp to be incorporated to your stay/hike. (See our section on Base camp trails).