MOUNTAIN PASTURES GAME LODGE & HIKING TRAILS
Mountain Pastures Game Lodge, nestled in the De Hoop valley between the Kouga and Honniball mountains, is situated next to the popular R62 route. It is 18 km from Uniondale and it
is on the doorstep of the famous Baviaans kloof World Heritage Site as well as a wide range of popular tourist destinations in this region, rich in history and culture.
Come and discover the beauty and serenity of this pristine wilderness area while enjoying the comfort of our well-appointed lodge. Here you can hike, fish, do game viewing, bird
watching or just relax in your own private spot with a good book. Come catch a bass while being watched by our inquisitive Eland, Zebra, Spring buck or even see our (almost extinct)
Blue Cranes raising their young, while the Black Eagles soar overhead.
During winter time you just might be lucky to see all our mountains covered in a blanket of snow, a sight you will never forget!
The main lodge has a fully equipped industrial kitchen (for catering and self catering groups), beautifully furnished big lounge, ladies bar / reading corner, ladies and gents bathrooms
and 1x room (Room 1) for 2persons. (See accommodation list).
- Room (No 1) (2 Singles or 1 Double) 1-2 Persons. This is ideal for the caterer / chefs for self catering groups. Electric blankets and electric heating are available for cold winter
months. Bathroom: Separate ladies and gents bathroom. Kitchen: Communal. View: Farm/Mountains
- Loose standing Two Bedroom Chalet (No 2) Max Occupancy: 4 Persons. 2x separate bed rooms: King-size and 2 single beds. Bathroom: Bathroom with bath. Lounge / sitting corner: Fire place
and Tea/Coffee Tray. Electrical heating and indoor fire place. Stunning view on the mountains.
- "Chalets" Studio rooms (No's 3 – 7) Max Occupancy: 3-4 Persons each. Separate main bedrooms and 2 or 3 single beds in open plan. Beds: King-size and/or 3 single beds. En suit bathrooms
with baths. Electrical Heating. Lounge / sitting corners: Indoor Fire places and Tea/Coffee Trays. Stunning view on the mountains.
- Wi Fi available in all facilities / included.
- Self catering groups make use of our communal lodge facilities: the lounge, ladies bar corner and the fully equipped kitchen - all cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery for groups up
to 20 included.
- Meals can be arranged for groups – rates and menus available on request.
Adults: R400 p/p/p/n sharing, R600 p/p/p/n (single) Kids 0 – 12years: R200 p/n
There are Special rates for groups.
Day Visitors (See our activity list): R100 p/p - must be pre booked.
There are 2 rooms for small to medium conferences, meetings and "Bosberade". Sound system, projectors, tables, chairs and pedestal included. This could also serve as a perfect
function venue (weddings, birth days etc). One room could easily be converted into a games room (pool table and darts available). Conference packages / rates available on request.
- Fishing: 5x well established dams, Mainly Bass (Catch and Release), Fishing rods available or bring own. Price: R70 p/p/p/d
- Bird Watching: More than 150 species identified. Blue cranes, different species of hawks, bustards and some Eagle species are very common visitors. This free of charge, can be done
from your stoop or all along our dams and hiking trails. Remember your bird lists, binoculars and bird books.
- Game Drives: Enjoy a safe and relaxing game drive with our very experienced field guides / owners. Duration: 1 or 3 Hours (must be booked on arrival at the reception). Snacks are
included with 3 Hour drive. Price: 1 Hour R150p/p (Min 2 guests) 3 Hours R250p/p (Min 2 guests)
There are 3x GREEN FLAG accredited circular trails for beginners, modest and also very experienced hikers. All trails are clearly marked an easy to follow. (Hiking trail maps available
The Buffelskloof walk: 5,5 km – Family Route. This is an easy circular walk, within the game area. (Guaranteed to see various game species). Hikers will enjoy beautiful fynbos species,
abundance of bird life and spectacular views. "I surprised a group of zebras having an afternoon 'lie-down' along the track. Further on, a group of Blesbok watched as I pass by, walking
back to the lodge." Written by Dr Joy Coleman (PhD Zoology)
Grey Rhebuck / Vaalribbok Trail: 9,5 km - This is an easy to moderate walk with more inclines and declines as hikers follow kloofs and gorges, going a bit deeper into the beautiful
mountains. Hikers will enjoy stunning panoramic views and can explore the interesting rock formations where they will find very interesting plants growing / hiding away within the tight
crevices. On this trail hikers can also look out for our proud Klipspringers and Grey Rebucks.
Waterfall Trail: 11 km - Tucked away, deep in the mountains in the most remote part of Mountain Pastures, is one of the best-kept secrets of the De Hoop-valley. Hiding there in the
upper reaches of the Driehoeks-river, is a perennial waterfall which, until recently, was almost totally inaccessible. NB NOTE: This is a strenuous walk with a total ascent of
800m, (not recommended for children u/12 and the not so fit hiker) but strongly recommended for those who desire to connect with nature. Once the destination is reached, behold the
simple beauty of crystal-clear water, cascading more than 10m over ancient rocks.
Except for the silence, you may hear the melodious "Kieee-uup" of the African Eagle, who, with it's wingspan up to 96cm, soar effortless with other lesser hawks and eagles, in the
endless skies above.
Bring your own mountain bike and come and explore more than 40km some challenging dirt roads and paths on our farm.
- This is an excellent "stop over" on your way to the Outeniqua Trails, Garden Route and Cape Town. But as you will experience, once you have visited this beautiful area, you would
not want to leave.
- Mountain Pastures Lodge is +- 80km from Knysna and George, 120km from St Francis, Jefferies Bay and Mossel Bay.
- Come build your own snow man, play in the snow or just take in the beauty of our beautiful surroundings! (Even during our cold winter months).