THABAPASHWA MOUNTAIN SANCTUARY & ECO TRAILS
This stunning privately owned mountain sanctuary is situated 18 km north of Mokopane/Potgietersrust, +- 3 hours from JHB and PTA. On route to Polokwane, Botswana,
Zimabwe, Mozambique, 2 hours from Martinsdrift/Groblersbrug border gate with Botswana. It is situated in the heart of pristine Northern Bushveld.
THIS SANCTUARY OFFERS:
- 3x Unique bush camps: Dome Rock Camp, Kanniedood Bush Camp, Bergvy Camp.
- 2x Wheel chair friendly camps/huts: 1x 2 persons(Pomp Huisie) and 1x 6 Persons (Ndebele Cottage).
- A Whole network of Hiking Trails, (day circular, back pack and slack pack options). Trails are clearly marked, colour coded, well sign posted and easy to follow,
can be linked/combined to make up a much longer day 1 and day 2.
Black Eagle Hiking Trail - 4 hours app
Blue Trail from Dome Rock to Kanniedood - terrain challenging
Mhahlare circular trail - 2 hours app
Tshesane Hiking Trail - 1.5 hours app
Klipspringer Hiking Trail - 1.5 hours app
Detailed trail map with GPS Co's available.
- 4x4 trails (all levels from 2-50km scenic to extremely challenging/difficult trail – for the more experienced riders.
- Shaded campsites with braais and ablutions in the wild.
- A network of clearly marked out mountain biking trails (7 – 95km) bring own bikes. Detailed trail map available at the reception.
- Excellent Rock Climbing and Abseiling with safe anchor points. The Mountain Club of SA has bolted a 150m rock climb on a granite rock face (difficulty 17-26). A
few easier climbs and abseiling are also available. Bring your own gear. A SARA Facilitator is available at extra cost for training and guidance.
- Bird watching: More than 168 species of birds have been identified already. It is also situated very close to the well known Waterberg-Nylsvley Birding Route.
- 105 National Tree species have been listed for amateur / professional dendrologists.
- Swimming in a farm dam, kids fishing and canoeing.
- Foefie sliding (zip line and cable sliding into the farm dam).
- PET FRIENDLY – Prior arrangement important.
THE DOME ROCK CAMP:
This camp has 4x separate units (Huilboerboon, Rooi Ivoor, Maroela and Kiepersol) with all private amenities, walking distance away from one another. This camp is
close to several dams lovely to swim in and there are also two foefie slides / zip lines to glide into the water. All 4 units have a separate braai, washing up area
and are equipped with braai grids, pots, pans, kettles, two-plate gas stoves and solar lanterns. No fridge or freezer facilities, cooler boxes available at
reception. A freezer and small fridge are available at the Thabaphaswa homestead (Reception).
THE KANNIEDOOD CAMP:
This is a unique, rustic, triple storey, reed-enclosed "shelter" on stilts, high up on a steep rock face, sleeps 14. Bunk beds and mattresses provided. The space
between the stilts forms an open air kitchen next to a communal braai area. A braai grid, pots, pans, a kettle, two-plate gas stove and solar lamps are provided.
Ablution facilities: one shower and one toilet.
- Access to the camp can only be achieved by 4x4. No fridge or freezer facilities but cooler boxes are available to guests.
- A freezer and small fridge are available at the Thabaphaswa homestead (reception).
THE FIG TREE (BERGVY) CAMP:
It consists of a lockable reed shelter with a corrugated iron roof adjacent to a communal braai area sleeps 16 people on 8 bunk beds with thick mattresses. Basic
kitchen equipment (A braai grid, pots, pans, kettle, 2-plate gas stove and solar lanterns) are provided but there are NO fridge or freezer facilities. Ablution
block with two reed-enclosed showers and 3 toilets.
THE FARM PUMP HOUSE: (Die Pomphuisie)
A charming, thatched, fully self-contained cottage for 2 persons only. It is also wheelchair friendly. An antique, brass double bed (linen provided), freestanding
Victorian bathtub, candles and solar lamps provided. There is a lapa outside where one can sit around the fire for a braai. A braai grid is provided. Cement paths
in and around camp for wheelchairs.
THE NDEBELE COTTAGE:
A fully self-contained cottage, sleeps 6 guests. Main bedroom 1x double bed. Two couches/beds in the lounge – ideal for children. The bathroom inside (flush toilet,
shower and basin) is fully adapted for wheelchair user. An adjoining room, for the wheelchair assistant. Assistants stay at 50% of the standard rate. There is an
extra adjacent outside room for 2 persons, a bathroom and outside showers. Kitchen equipment and cutlery, a 2-plate gas stove and a cooler box, solar lanterns and
candles are provided. A fridge and freezer is available at the homestead (Reception). There are cement paths in and around the Cot-House. There is a specially
designed lapa with built-in seats around the fire. A double bed has been built as part of the lapa for star-gazing and sleeping under the open sky, and to experience
the bushveld night atmosphere.
There are several camp sites along the foot of the Thabaphaswa Mountain.
- The main Campsite has 5x separate sites under big shady trees, with braai facilities and ablutions, close to a big round farm dam to cool off in.
- The other area for individual campsites is along the mountain stream that flows through the farm. There are natural dams in the stream that are great natural
- Two of the dams have foefie slides (zip lines) for a more adventurous way to enter the water. This provides for great fun.
- All camping areas have hot showers and reed-enclosed toilets.
- Individual campsites have fire pits, braai grids, water taps and dish washing facilities.
- We now also have a few movable shower stands that can be provided to campers that wish to take regular cold showers at their campsites.
View our Rates